Malaysian national oil company, Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) announced another gas discovery in the Kulintang-1 wildcat exploration well of Block SK438, located about 230 kilometres off the coast of Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia. This consecutive discovery marks the latest exploration success in the Balingian Province this year.

The Kulintang-1 wildcat well in Block SK438 began drilling in March 2021 and undertaken a total depth of 2,238m by April 2021. The well encountered gas in the Oligocene to Middle Miocene sandstone reservoirs, which has not been fully evaluated before.

“The success of Kulintang-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Balingian Province this year. This encouraging result proves the further potential of sweet gas in the province, especially in the deeper Oligocene play.”

Mohamed Firouz Asnan, PETRONAS Senior Vice President of MPM

Mr. Phongsthorn Thavisin, PTTEP Chief Executive Officer also said in a statement today that the discovery highlights PTTEP’s strong partnership with PETRONAS and will continue efforts in applying new techniques and interpretations to identify opportunities in mature areas.

PTTEP HK Offshore Limited is the operator for Block SK438 with 80% participating interest, while PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 20%.

Apart from the Sarawak SK438 PSC, PTTEP’s asset portfolio in Malaysia comprises Block H, Block K, SK 309 and SK 311, and the Malaysia–Thailand Joint Development Area (MTJDA) which are producing projects; Block H which is a development project; and SK 410B, SK 405B, SK 314A, SK 438, SK 417, PM 407 and PM 415 which are exploration projects. PTTEP also jointly invests with PTT in the MLNG Train 9 Project, an LNG liquefaction plant, through PTT Global LNG Company.

Source:
PETRONAS Media Management
*Photo courtesy of PETRONAS

Categories: News